No plug-in or other compressor type quite compares to the warm, forgiving, fluid qualities of this classic ‘2A-style optical compressor. For decades, the renowned ‘2A style circuit has become the go-to device for seamlessly handling vocals, bass, and a wide variety of other instruments and program material in an effortlessly smooth way.
The WA-2A is a high-voltage, Class-A opto-compressor, utilizing large-core CineMag USA Transformers, four premium vacuum tubes, and the legendary Kenetek opto-cell – considered by many to be the world’s finest. The WA-2A operates on four tubes: two 12AX7’s, one 12BH7, and one 6P1J. This product proudly uses Tung-Sol and Electro-Harmonix brand tubes in the signal path, which sound very ‘open’ and LARGE. All 4 tubes are socketed for easy swapping and replacement.
– ‘2A Style, Transformer balanced, high voltage, opto tube compressor.
– Utilizes premium grade input and output CineMag USA Transformers.
– Utilizes USA made Kenetek opto attenuator.
– Premium Tung-Sol and Electro-Harmonix tubes. 2x 12ax7, 1x 12bh7, 1x 6aq5
– Fully discrete signal path.
– Socketed to allow for retro-fitting with other opto-cells.
– Variable Pre-emphasis, allows for compression hipass filtering.
– Stereo-link capability.
– Frequency Response +/- 1 dB, 15 Hz to 20kHz.
– Gain 40 dB ±1dB.
– Input Level +16 dB maximum
– Output Level +10 dB nominal, +16 dB maximum.
– Distortion Less than 0.1% THD at ±10 dBm, Noise = -74dB
– Attack Time – 10 milliseconds.
– Release Time – 0.06 seconds for 50% release.
– 0.5 to 5 seconds for complete release.
– Meter shows both dB gain reduction and dB output.